Thursday, June 11, 2015

A space of my own - part 1

Do you sew, quilt or craft?  Are you fortunate enough to have a dedicated space for those activities?  Or do you have to drag everything out and put it all back when you're finished?  

That's what I did for a long time.  There wasn't an option.  We didn't have extra rooms to leave anything setup.  

Fast forward to 1999 to our new home.  Still no coveted "space of my own" but a bigger home and knew that someday as the kids would move out :( , space would free up and become more available.   
As our sons gradually moved out of the house, I started to set up my sewing machine in their old bedrooms which we had converted to guest rooms.  This wasn't ideal but much better. I only had to take everything down when the kids or other guests would visit.

In our upstairs area, we had a family room/tv room that looked like this.  




Neither DH or I are big TV watchers and we rarely used this space once the kids were gone.   Just look at all that wonderful natural light going to waste!  

A number of years ago, I asked DH what he thought about turning that into a studio for me.  He really liked this room as it was (even tho we didn't use it often) and was totally against it hesitant. I personally think he just didn't want to haul all of this furniture back down the steps remembering the struggle we had getting it up there.  So I dropped the idea.

I left it lay for a time but came back around to it a couple of years later.  I kindly begged asked again. This time he threw up his hands and said "whatever."  It took me all of 15 minutes to take pictures and list the furniture on Craigslist.  :)  I think the flurry speed at which I moved sent his head into a tailspin.  LOL  The furniture sold quickly and now I could begin the transformation to "a space of my own".  #happygirl

I didn't have any huge changes in mind but was certainly anxious to get moving on this project.

Tomorrow - what this space looks like today!










3 comments:

  1. So happy for you! Love that craigslist. I'm still totin' my sewing totes around the house. Frankly it's been awhile since I sewed anyway. Maybe I really don't want to sew badly. ?
    Seems like all I do is mow lately. We had a bad storm last night and as I drove to get a coffee this morning I noticed lots of tree damage and removal going on. Looking for more today.
    I'm eager to see the results of your hard work. You deserve a good place to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on getting back to blogging! You are doing superbly (?) !!
    Great photos as usual! Looking forward to seeing how you transformed your space into "your" space. I have a room in our finished basement that I use. Unfortunately I am always in the middle of three or four projects so it looks like a sewing explosion in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm liking this. very much. yep.

    ReplyDelete